Year 2 information for parents
Dear Year 2 families,
Thank you for all the hard work you have been doing at home to support your children in their learning over the last few weeks. We know that it isn’t easy, and we really appreciate everything you are doing.
It has been wonderful to hear from so many of our students that they doing the work from their learning packs. We are now moving to online learning, and Year 2 students will need to start using a few tools to help them with their learning. They will not need to be on a computer or iPad all day, but there are instructions, videos, websites and assignments they will need to access every day.
We are using:
Compass – every lesson will start here. Log in to Compass and click on the lesson to start.
Google Classroom – videos, images and assignments are here. The instructions on Compass will tell students when they need to log in to Google Classroom.
Students log in to Google classroom using their email (eg. WIL0001@dovetoncollege.vic.gov.au), then their student code (eg. WIL0001) and password.
Mathletics – There are lots of learning activities here, and teachers can see how students go in their learning and give new activities. The instructions on Compass will tell students when they need to log in to Mathletics, and they can do extra activities if they want to.
Reading Eggs – There are lots of English learning activities here. The instructions on Compass will tell students when they need to log in to Reading Eggs, and they can do extra activities if they want to.
Students’ usernames and passwords were in their learning packs. If they don’t know them, please email your teacher.
Parents can contact classroom teachers through Compass or by email.
Cassie Williams (2A): email@example.com
Emily Snitman (2B): firstname.lastname@example.org
Jason Hodge (2C): email@example.com
We encourage students to use Google Classroom to post comments for teachers if they can.
All year 2 students and families can contact Cassie Williams (Year 2 team leader) by calling 0437 837 325 during school hours.
Please remember that sometimes we will not be able to answer your email or call straight away. This is because we are hard at work planning lessons, calling families and attending meetings to ensure the best learning outcomes for your child. We will email or call you back as soon as we possibly can.
We understand that keeping kids engaged all day can be challenging. To help your child stay busy and keep learning at home, we have some suggestions based on what works for us at school.
Tips for keeping your child busy:
- Have a daily routine
- Schedule meal breaks
- Encourage children to be active every day
- Manage screen time
- Use a reward system for good behaviour
- Communicate regularly and safely with school, family and friends
Online Resources for Parents:
- Doveton College Website – our news and remote learning pages contain information and learning ideas for parents
- How to build literacy skills from birth to year 2 – includes tips on how to help build children’s skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing
- How to build numeracy skills from birth to year 2 – includes tips on how to build children’s skills in maths, measurement and patterns
- Building STEM skills for children – includes ways to engage children with STEM related experiences
- ESafety Commissioner – information for parents about keeping your family safe online
Online Resources for Kids:
- GoNoodle – short, engaging brain break activities for waking up or calming down
- Cosmic Kids Yoga – engaging yoga videos to get kids active. Various lengths available, and all you need is some space to move around.
- Storyline Online – actors reading children’s picture story books
- Art for Kids Hub – YouTube videos that teach kids to draw
- Code.org hour of code – free coding activities for kids. The Kodable, Minecraft, Coding with Anna and Elsa and Star Wars activities are all good.
- Hector’s World – videos from the eSafety Commissioner teaching kids to be safe online
- ABCya – a wide range of fun and educational games
Information about staying safe online is available from https://www.esafety.gov.au/
Stay safe and know that we are thinking of you.
From Ms Williams, Miss Snitman, Mr Hodge, Mrs Go, Ms Fox, Ms Tiley and all the staff at Doveton College.