23rd of April 2020
Dear Parents/Guardians of Students of Year 8,
I hope we are all taking care of ourselves, looking out for each other and taking all the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of our families, friends and entire Doveton Community. I’m sure the students enjoyed working through their hard copy packs and are ready to move to online learning.
At this stage we would have made contact with all of you to discuss moving to remote online learning. I hope that the students are excited and ready for a new challenge of learning online. Teachers have been busy planning lessons, creating videos and finding some fun and engaging activities for your children to do.
For English and Mathematics, teachers will upload a minimum of two video lessons a week. This will help the students gain a greater understanding of the material, how to complete it and detailed explanations and examples. Further to this, students can comment in the lesson and ask questions. If a student prefers, they can also email their teacher directly with any questions. This goes for all their subjects. Teachers will upload detailed instructions in google classroom, videos to help explain the topic and work to complete.
We don’t expect students to sit in front of a laptop screen for the entire day. For some lessons they will need to take notes from videos and use the laptop for research purposes, while for other lessons they need to log into google classroom to find the task to be completed and then complete it in their books or around the house.
A timetable has been uploaded to compass to reflect remote learning. There are 5 lessons each day with breaks in between. If possible we would encourage students to follow the timetable as routine is important for children. However I do understand that the times may not suit everyone. I encourage you to do the best you can. The lesson plans will be uploaded to compass for parents to see what the students will be learning.
Some expectations for online remote learning are:
- Appropriate use of ICT. Please refrain from using coarse language online, address your teachers respectfully and be mindful of websites and images you use in your research projects.
- Students to login into compass and google classroom at 9am every day to check the tasks to be completed. Students should check their emails daily.
- Please read the instructions carefully and watch the videos first before emailing the teacher with any questions. All the information should be available in the lesson.
- If you are unsure of what you need to do, seek clarification in the comments section of the lesson or email the teacher directly.
- If you are unsure of your passwords for Essential Assessment, Mathletics or Stile please email your Maths and Science teachers immediately.
- Parents are not expected to home school their children. Teachers have created videos and lessons so that students can get all the information needed through google classroom.
- Please keep your work neat and tidy and submit relevant work via google classroom.
Check in calls will be made regularly by teachers, ES staff and wellbeing as per the conversations we had with you last week. If a student has a question about their work they can email their relevant teacher. Further to that if you have any questions or concerns you can contact me on 0437868063 or by email. You can also email your child’s connections teacher or the teacher of a specific subject. Below you will find their email addresses.
Year 8 and 9 Coordinator
9A- Kate Nye-Butler- email@example.com
8C- Kate Ravenswood- firstname.lastname@example.org
8B- Steve Reinhardt- Reinhardt.Stephen.S@edumail.vic.gov.au
9B- Devinna Duffy- Duffy.Devinna.D@edumail.vic.gov.au
Akanksha Shukla- Shukla.Akanksha.A@edumail.vic.gov.au
9C- Caillin Rolfe- ROLFE.Caillin.R@edumail.vic.gov.au
8A- Sarah Jenkins- Jenkins.Sarah.S2@edumail.vic.gov.au